Rockets Launch Procedure
This is what you need to do in order to launch a rocket with us. Note: SSI does subsidize a substantial portion of the cost to launch and build rockets.
(will link to things once google drive is fully organized)
- Be a member of SSI (pay your dues). Talk to your co-lead about how to do this.
- Complete EH&S safety trainings (you only need to do this once): 2200,1900, and 4200 (on Axess).
- Sign up on the SSI HPR Roster
- Become a member of either:
- Attend the intro to rocketry workshop. This will give you a brief overview of the fundamentals of high power rocketry and give you the tools to analyze and design your own rockets.
- Read and understand:
- Complete the forms we ask of you:
- TRA Launch Liability Waiver Form
- NAR Launch Liability Waiver Form
- Emergency Contact Online Form (only needs to be done once)
- Stanford Launch Waiver
- Stanford Assumption of Risk Form (only needs to be done once)
- Pre-flight Rocket Approval Form
- If you are attempting to certify, fill out the correct form:
Once you've completed these steps, you only have to fill out an updated Launch Waiver and Pre-flight Approval Form per launch.
Build Your Rocket
If you've already achieved your L1 certification.
- Build it.
If you haven't built a rocket yet and are aiming for L1 certification:
- Attend a expoy session to learn how to use it and about personal protective equipment (PPE).
- Attend a build session to install your recovery system and finish any critical steps.
- Paint your rocket. We will provide you with spray paint, but feel free to get creative. (There will be no supervision for this part).
- Perform OpenRocket simulations for your rocket to:
- find your center of gravity and center of pressure. Mark these spots on your rocket.
- fill out your flysheet (link to flysheet)
- Go over the Pre-Launch Checklist.
- If this is your first L1 cert attempt, you must attend a mock launch where a Rockets Team member will act as the Range Safety Officer and ensure that you know what you are doing.
You must finish building your rocket 24 hours prior to launch day, otherwise you will not launch.
- Let your rocket fly!
- Fill out the Post-Launch Reflection
You will not be allowed to fly with us again until you have filled this out.